Sunday, June 20, 2010

Bathroom Project part 4

Yesterday we finally demolished the entire shower. From start to completing the cleanup it was around 5.5 hours. Not as bad as I thought it would be. The next step will be to frame it out. I will have to take down my previous frame job :( After the framing will come the backing (durock) and some type of water proofing substance. Not sure if I will use a membrane or a paint/roll on proofer. The only thing it had prior was the plaster/concrete but it did leak over time due to separation/breakdown of the grout and tile.

Thankfully we did not find any surprises. Although it was interesting to see how they did the mailbox. I think I will have to improve on the design to re-enforce it. Also when building the step they used bricks encased in concrete, interesting.






This is the mailbox, I love how they used the vertical piece of wood on the left and wedged it against the wall for support.



2 comments:

K said...

Nice protection against dust!!

Using bricks inside the step
looks nice idea, and it must be
cost saving too.

Brett said...

The dust was pretty bad and who knows what was in it. The bricks is actually a pretty good idea but when I rebuild it I will use 2x4 wood and then use a membrane to protect the wood from moisture.