Sunday, November 10, 2013

Museum day

"A" received some free passes to the Mingei Museum at Balboa Park. I'm not much into museums, usually after 10 minutes I'm ready to stab myself in the eye with a spoon, but one of the displays consisted of furniture. I know what you are thinking, booorrrringggg, but a lot of this was mid-century and that just happens to be what we are looking for.

There were other displays of "art" and I have to tell you some of it was crap. I can't believe what people pass off as art.

Anyway here are some pictures of the stuff that we were interested in.
















10 comments:

K said...

Sometimes there is an interesting exhibition at the museum here, and I think I like to visit but it is not realized ever,as I come to know there must be a long line of visitors to get in.

Budweiser can chair, antique art. You prefer Miller can chair.

Shell "Peace Man" said...

Chairs. Totally man.

Tank said...

I've seen that chair w/ ottoman before.. I think it's a Swedish creation. I hear they are very comfortable but very expensive as well. Ottoman... where does that name come from? Odd name for a piece of furniture.

Brett said...

K- Actually I don't care for Budweiser or Miller. Maybe a Corona or Asahi?

Brett said...

Shell- Yes they are.

Brett said...

Tank- Actually Charles Ormond Eames was an American designer and an "original" Eames chair will set you back close to $5k. But you can get replicas for less than $1k.

But there are a lot of Scandinavian furniture that is very similar.

Shell said...

Good Grief. 1K for a fake? I didn't spend that much on the most comfortable chair in my house!

Brett said...

Yeah, they don't give them away. But you can get used ones for about 2/3 of that. I am working on getting one but it's not easy.

shell said...

Are they at least comfortable to sit in, because it doesn't look as if it would be.

Brett said...

They are not too bad.