Saturday, July 10, 2010

Bathroom Project part 6

I have been a little behind in updating the progress but that is just because we have been so busy making progress. We are in the final push and hopefully will be done very soon. Earlier this week after framing out the shower we installed Durock and it went easy. The next step was to use the fiber mesh tape and thin set to seal all the seams and corners. This wasn't too hard either, just messy.

In my part 5 post I mentioned using Redgard and I think this was the easiest step so far. If you can paint, then you can waterproof your shower with Redgard. It goes on pepto bismol pink, and I mean florescent pink. You know it is dry and cured when it turns a deep red. It also doesn't smell too great either :(

I did make one mistake, but like I say it is not so much that you make a mistake it is what you do after you make the mistake. For some reason I did not trim the edge of the durock properly near the step and there was a major lip. This was a big problem because tile could not lay flat. If I had been using a typical water proofing membrane, major problem. With Redgard, no problem. I just took a blade trimmed back the excess durock and repainted to seal the wall, EASY!!!!!










You could see this stuff from the space shuttle.






Kuuipo is not impressed!

2 comments:

K said...

I didn't know there was such a good stuff for water-proofing.
I say "sugooi" means "great".

Quuipo will agree.

Brett said...

sugoi daisuki!!!!

So desu.