Friday, January 14, 2011

Screw loose

On Tuesday our adventure begins. I got home from work and being the thin blooded Californian that I am, turned on the furnace because it was 59F in the house.  Once the blower started I thought that I had found the missing neighbors cat, because the furnace was thumping and screeching. I quickly shut down the furnace and had visions of $$$$ flying up the flue.

I contemplated calling a repairman but because the furnace is so old either the repairman would have to call his grandpa or he would just run away. My next thought was buying a new one. This was not a pleasant thought because part of the furnace is wrapped in asbestos (I told you it was old) and it would have to be abated.

Then I thought, screw that, I can fix this thing. I pulled the motor off because I figured that was where the problem was and I was right. A mounting screw had came loose and once I fixed that all was bliss and warm again. One positive side note is the motor and fan were extremely dirty and I was able to clean it up making the airflow more efficient.







If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy~ Red Green

4 comments:

K said...

It was good that you didn't find a cat.
I think you've decided to clean up the
furnace every winter before starting to
use it.

A says you are handsome and handy~
Red Green. I agree.

"Call his Grandpa" .... LOL

Brett said...

I do change the filter every year but not sure I want to dismantle it. I agree I am glad I did not find a cat. LOL

Shell said...

You are studly doright.

Brett said...

But of course.