Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Renovations part 4

Where to start? I wanted to write a post this weekend but I worked every day (Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday). By the end of the day, I was so mentally and physically exhausted, that I had no desire to write.

Everything has been a battle with this condo. I had to call in a plumber because there were old “spaghetti lines” used for the water supply to all the sinks. I purchased the new hoses and the valves but couldn't remove the old ones because they were frozen in place and I was afraid to ruin the copper pipes.  Also when I tried to connect the gas range I found that the supply nozzle was incorrect and I could not get a tight fit and the gas line was too high so the rage would not sit flush against the wall. If the range did not sit against the wall then we couldn't open one of the drawers.

When the plumber came out he moved the gas line and installed a correct nozzle.  It also seems there are two types of copper pipes used in residential, “L” and “M”. When the valves are installed on “L” pipes it does not affect the end and you can just install the new valve. With “M” pipes the valve will compress the end and this causes the pipe to leak when the new valve is installed. Take a wild guess on which type I had?

He initially tried to use the old connection but it kept leaking so he had to go back and cut each pipe and then reconnect the valves. Thankfully he had enough pipe available to cut, barely.
The blinds we ordered did not fit because each of the damn windows are either not standard sizes or are different by ¼ to ½ inches. So now we will need to go and have custom windows cut.
It is finally looking like a livable place and now we are left with the small things that seem to take so much time.

Living Room/Dining room

Hallway looking to 2nd bedroom from laundry

2nd bedroom


Master bedroom/Master bath on left

Kitchen from dining room

Dining room from kitchen

Kitchen

Guest bath

Master bath


2 comments:

K said...

Reading this, I can feel your exhaustion.
Now it seems it becomes habitable zone.

After everything is done, take some rest with A, enjoy nice restaurant, or anything else.

Brett said...

Thanks K, We are definitely going to take a well deserved rest when this is over.