Saturday, July 21, 2012

Master Bath Project Nearing the End

Today we are one step closer to finishing this project. I have installed the faucet for the vanity and we replaced the light fixtures. This week the glass company finally came and installed our glass wall and delivered the two pieces of glass for the storage cabinet.




We bought a glass door cabinet from IKEA for storage since we needed a replacement for the one we took out. We liked it a lot but didn't like the solid panels on the side and "A" found a site called IKEA Hackers, just as the title says, they take nothing but IKEA furniture and modify them. In this particular case we removed the top side panels and had glass made to replace them. Brilliant!!!



Today I installed the toilet which was not as easy as it should have been.  When we removed it at the beginning of the project there was a mortar base that it was resting on. I thought that when we resurfaced the floor and then installed the tile it would raise the floor up enough so that the toilet would rest on the floor. But, alas, that is not the case.



As you can see the flange is too high and now I had to figure out the best way to fix it.
  1. Call the plumber and pay several hundred dollars to lower the flange and possible damage the floor.
  2. Raise it with a bed for mortar.
  3. Shim it and call it a day.
I went with door number three.
 
I bought some shims, and unlike our Olympians uniforms, these are made in the good 'ole U.S. of A. I then took epoxy, and fixed the shims to to the toilet so that they wouldn't shift. Leveled it out and now we have a working toilet. I just need to either grout or caulk around the front of the toilet so that it will fill the gap. I will leave the back exposed just in case I have any leaks.









Now we just have to fix the gap from the tub and tiles and then modify the drawers on the vanity to fit around the plumbing.

2 comments:

K said...

IKEA cabinet now became much attractive.

Hope you post a picture of the cabinet after you put items inside, if you don't mind.

Brett said...

I will post a picture once we have everything situated. Glad you like it :)