Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Fountain Tiled

Saturday I began the process of finally tiling the fountain pool.  Whenever I get that feeling that tiling isn't that bad, it only takes a few minutes of being on my knees applying mortar, bending at the waste and laying tile to bring back the phrase "this sucks".

What made this project so difficult is that the fountain is not square (of course), the floor is uneven (of course) and it slopes (of course).  Did I mention that the corners were not rounded as well?  By the time I was finishing up with the corners my "care" factor had pretty much dropped to zero.

The good news is that I already had the thin set mortar and only had to purchase the grout. I went with a light gray. I did purchase one of the scoring tile cutters and now I really wish I had done it earlier. It was SO EASY to cut the tiles. The only draw back over a wet saw is that you cant cut tile into slivers.

Not my best job, but it looks better than it did.

It's suppose to rain tonight into Thursday so I will put the fountain back into the pool and fill it up this weekend.

Tile in place

Tile in place

Grouting in process

Completed

Completed

2 comments:

K said...

You made it nicely! By this, you've got another skill.
When you put the fountain into the pool, be so careful
not to damage your back.

Brett said...

Thank you very much. It is a skill but not one I would like to make a living doing.

"A" is going to help me put the fountain in. I also have to be careful not to break any tiles when I put the fountain in. It is really heavy.