Monday, March 10, 2014

Fountain Tiling

When I had the fountain built, I thought about tiling it but decided to give it a try with just the white sealant paint. The problem is that it collects the dirt and the algae in the nooks and crannies. Even though I use a chemical to treat the water some algae still grows and I have to drain the fountain and scrub it.

So I figured that if I tiled it with glazed ceramic then I could wipe off the tiles without having to drain the fountain. Also without the nooks and crannies the algae wouldn't have any place to grow. 

I wanted 4x4 cobalt blue but they don't give that away. I can't believe how much they cost, over a $1 each one. It takes 9 of them to make a sqft coming close to $10 a sqft. Since I needed close to 50 sqft this was a non-starter.

I was seriously considering black when I came across these sky blue 6x6 tiles for 50 cents each on Craigslist. That came to $2 a sqft, not keen on the 6x6 but I can deal with that.

Today I scrubbed the fountain and dry fitted the base tile to get an idea of what it would look like. Next weekend I should be able to tile on Saturday and grout on Sunday. I'm not sure what color the grout will be but leaning towards a gray.





2 comments:

K said...

Sky blue tiles would make the fountain water looks much beautiful,
I hope.

Brett said...

Once I get water in it I think it will look really nice too.