Monday, March 26, 2012

Master Bath Project: Day 3

We are feeling much better today so we wanted to get in as much work as possible.
The first thing was to dry set in the new tub and get an idea as to where we would need to cut the wall out.  That way I can re-frame it and attach the durarock for the tile.


So this is where our adventure begins....

I score the wall with my handy dandy grinder and proceed to carefully knock out the wall. It seems that the bottom half has been replaced with drywall and plywood from when they installed the other tub, I guess. While they were at it they decided to insulate the wall by shoving as much batting as possible from the bottom  since they did not remove the top half of the wall. Why would you insulate an inside wall (on the other side is a bedroom)? I have no idea.


 On the left side were the plumbing pipes are they must have been running low on plywood because it was all patchy, but evidently they were not short on screws because they used so damn many. And the plywood kept going to the left all the way to the door. Why? I have no idea.




Finally I got all the wall off and with time left in the day I wanted to get the floor prepped as much as I could before the plumber came Wednesday to move the pipes and install the tub. I had to scrape what was left of what I guess is old mastic from other layers of who knows what. It was coming up pretty easy and as you can see by the rings it appears that when they initially poured the extra layer of concrete they just laid the tile right on top of it. Why? I have no idea.


 Well as in the photo above the floor is cracked and loose, sooooooooo it has to come up. Damn Damn Damn!!! Actually it wasn't too hard, except for where the tub was. That stuff will not come up with my hammer and crowbar. So now I don't think I can do self leveling (space is way too big) so I have a call into my concrete guy to come out and break up the last bit and pour enough so that my tile will be level with the hall floor.

     I could rent a small jack hammer, break it up, then teach myself how to lay and level about 67sqft of concrete at the correct height......not this week. So plumber is on hold until Thursday and Wednesday I will have the concrete poured.




When scoring the wall it was the only way to get rid of the dust

Conveniently located

Safety First

What I could not remove


5 comments:

tank.62 said...

Are you keeping those lovely gold fixtures?

Brett said...

No we are not keeping them, but since you seemed to like them so much I can send them to you as a gift. As a gift you would then be obligated to use them.

tank.62 said...

Touche

K said...

Nice demolition, and perfect guard against dust.

It seems really big project.

Brett said...

Thankfully I didn't need to wear it all the time becaukse it is not the most comfortable. But there sure was a lot dust at times.