Friday, September 14, 2012

TV Down

We interrupt these vacation posts to bring you an important message. MY TV CRAPPED OUT!!!!

I had a 42" Philips Plasma TV that I bought in August of 2005 for a whopping $3,000 and then I got a pretty good deal. What a difference 7 years makes. I purchased this 50" Panasonic Plasma for $600 and got a 3 year additional warranty for $60. That give me 5 years on the thing and it will probably go out at 5 1/2.

I wanted to get a LCD TV because they are lighter and use less energy. However they can be more expensive. We had a limit of no more than $1000 and I saw a 60" Samsung LED back lit LCD for $1,069 but by the time the tax was added and if I got a 3 year warranty ($100) it would have been significantly over my budget.

My old TV weighed 97lbs and the new one weighs in at 67 lbs. LCDs are around 40 lbs depending on the size.








10 comments:

Shell Smarty Pants Guenther said...

Too bad you couldn't find the extra bucks in your dusty pockets. We've had NO problems with LCD TVs, have four of them ranging from 8 years old to just under 2 years old. The only TV probs we've had have been with DLP (though it had a GREAT picture) and a plasma.

Brett said...

Well that one lasted just a little over 7 years, which I guess is not too bad considering the technology.

Also I guess the TV only weighs 49lbs and not 67lbs. It just felt like it when I was mounting it.

Shell said...

Did you write smarty pants on my name?

K said...

Hope you can enjoy it over 10 years this time,
and when you change it to next one, the main
stream will be EL TV, I think.

Brett said...

Shell- No I did not write smarty pants on your name. Thought you did that. Of course it does fit really well :)

Brett said...

K- I hope it will last 10 years too. What is EL TV?

K said...

EL TV has Organic Electro Luminescence
display, and Samsung has already put 55inch TV at US$9,000 as a next stage TV.
LG will also put their model late this year or early next year. These are too expensive
but Plasma and LCD TV were very expensive at the beginning, as you posted.

Sony, Toshiba and Panasonic will go different way,
4K TV. Ask Google for 4K TV.

tank.62 said...

Are you pleased with the picture quality? do you notice any more, or less, screen glare?

Brett said...

K- Thanks for the information. I will check it out.

Brett said...

Tank-I really like it. It does not run nearly as hot as my other one and the energy consumption is less.

I have not noticed any more or less glare.